Friday, June 7, 2019

Cowden Support Program: Month 1, Day 1


As I mentioned in my previous post, I decided to try the Cowden Support Program for my reoccurring Lyme Disease symptoms. I have been on numerous courses of antibiotics through the years, starting in 2016 when I was finally diagnosed after being sick for 2 years. Earlier this year I tried taking Doxycyline again for my symptoms but it really didn't help this time. I was only on a short, 2 week course whereas normally I would take it for a month. I'm thinking the short duration, coupled with the fact that I was not taking any bio-film or cyst busters with it, made it ineffective this time. There is also the possibility that I am immune to it by now, having taken it so many times before! It also caused a side effect I never had before such as intense head pressure, massive headaches and problems with my vision. So, I decided it was time to try an all herbal approach. 

My LLMD has had success with other patients, and even family members, so it sounds hopeful. If you've been around my blog for a while, you know where my ultimate source of hope comes from anyway - from the Lord. Should it be His will that this treatment plan work, I will be very happy! If not, then He has His plans for me, and I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4:16). 

I'm not sure I'll blog about my experience everyday. I have been extremely tired these days, and using the computer too long seems to make it worse. I'm most interested in keeping record of my own spiritual growth during this time of trusting in God and seeing where this course of treatment takes me. I would also like to share the experience for others who might be wondering what it's like. So we'll see how the blogging it goes!


This sign is available for purchase in my shop!
The protocol itself seems a bit overwhelming when you look at it from beginning to end, so my Bible verse for this experience is going to be: "Do not worry about tomorrow" (Matthew 6:34). I'm going to remind myself each day to take one day at a time. I think the hardest part for me (out of the recommended dietary changes, the herbs and supplements schedule) is going to be drinking 100 ounces ( 3 liters) of water per day. I'm just not good with drinking tons of water, especially when it feels like a chore that I have to constantly remind myself to keep doing! Well, I'll do anything to feel better, so I'm giving it a go. It's too much to think about how I'll be able to do this for months and just focusing on today with the Lord's help makes it doable. At the moment, I have already had 68 ounces and it's only 2pm, so I'm doing well!

The program basically recommends eliminating all common food allergens: wheat, dairy, soy, corn, peanuts, black & white pepper and sugar. The pepper part threw me off. I never knew it was a "common allergen"! I have already been gluten, dairy and soy free for some time now, so this part shouldn't be a problem. I already mentioned the water, and then there are some other instructions for those taking other medications or antibiotics. It's a 9 month program in total, but they recommend doing it until you feel better, and then for 2 more months after that. 

That's about all for Day 1. If you're reading this and have been on the protocol, feel free to share your own experience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment